Top tips for protecting your digital devices
Protect against Viruses and Spyware
Collectively referred to as 'Malware', malicious software such as viruses, trojans and spyware are software programs which are designed to cause damage to a digital system or to your privacy. Malware usually gets onto your digital device from infected files you download from websites or open as email attachments. One common trick is to offer you a seemingly useful free game or utility, which unknown to you, also includes malware.
Ways to protect yourself:
• Using the latest version of your internet browser will always help to make your internet usage more secure.
• Install an Anti-Virus product and regularly install the updates.
• Don't open email attachments without ensuring they are first scanned for viruses. Don’t open unsolicited emails or click any links in an email, however genuine it may look.
• If your anti-virus software reports a suspect file, take the recommended action before you close down your computer
• Make sure you have backups of your important files and check that you can restore these files from your backup
• Only download files from legitimate websites and only install apps from legitimate stores
• Scan all CDs, DVDs, and USB Drives for viruses before use
• Install system updates when prompted
• Use a Personal Firewall. This helps regulate what network traffic is allowed in and out of your computer. If your firewall software reports a suspect network connection, take the recommended action.
• Avoid using Shared Computers or Internet Café. Your information is recorded and/or stored on that computer even after you’ve left it or logged off.
Protect yourself against Fraud
There are many types of fraud that could affect you, for information on these fraud types and how to protect yourself click here
For up to date fraud alerts and information on how to protect yourself or your business from fraud please click here