Privacy Statement for Online Media and Mobile Banking
In this Privacy Statement we explain how KBC Bank Ireland (KBC) deals with information which we collect about you or you provide to us while visiting our website, using the KBC Mobile Banking App or when communicating with us through any of our social media or other interactive channels (collectively “KBC Online Services”). We are committed to protecting your privacy and to ensuring that your personal information is treated in a fair, secure and lawful manner in any dealings with us.
Information we collect and use
We collect two types of information from you when you use KBC Online Services:
1. “Personal Information”: This is information that identifies you or can be used to identify you directly or indirectly and may include your name, postal address, email address, telephone number, date of birth, location data or online identifiers such as your IP address.
When we collect Personal Information from you, we will let you know how we intend to use this information by sharing with you a copy of our Data Protection Notice. Our Data Protection Notice explains the terms on which your Personal Information will be collected and used by us or by a trusted third party on our instruction and the rights you are legally entitled to avail of. Our Data Protection Notice is reviewed and regularly updated by us and the most recent version is made available online at www.kbc.ie.
2. “Non-Personal Information”: Like most online banking platforms, KBC gathers statistical and other analytical information collected on an aggregate basis concerning visitors to our KBC Online Services platforms.
This information cannot be used to identify or contact you, for example demographic information regarding browser types, mobile device equipment, mobile network and other anonymous statistical data involving the use of KBC Online Services. KBC collects this information to help us monitor online traffic and manage the performance, efficiency and capacity of KBC Online Services. This information also helps us understand what parts of KBC Online Services are effective/ popular and what parts are not being fully utilised. This technical data may be used for administrative and statistical purposes and may be shared with our internet service provider.
KBC Online Services use “cookie” technology to simplify and improve your browsing experience and to better tailor the content of our website and apps (on whichever device you choose to use) to your requirements and preferences.
What are Cookies?
Cookies are small pieces of information stored in simple text files, downloaded on to your device when you access certain websites. Cookies allow a website to recognise your device on your subsequent visits so that you can access information in a faster and more efficient way.
The information stored in a cookie may relate to your browsing habits on the web page, or a unique identification number so that the website can "remember" you on your return visit. Generally speaking, cookies do not contain Personal Information about the user, unless you have separately furnished such information to the website.
KBC uses three different types of cookies:
1. Session Cookies
“Session” cookies help users navigate KBC Online Services. They are deleted once you close the browser or app. Session cookies are made up of a session identification number which allows the webserver to “remember” where you are online. Session cookies are especially important for using KBC online and mobile banking services. Some examples of these cookies include:
· Identifying you as being signed in to KBC online banking and keeping you logged in throughout your visit.
· Remembering the content of forms which you may have completed while you are using KBC Online Services
2. Performance Cookies
“Performance” cookies are used by KBC to provide information on how visitors use KBC Online Services (which pages they visited, how they arrived there, the average duration of their visit, what devices and mobile networks they were using etc). Some of these cookies are saved to your computer or device so that we know when you revisit KBC Online Services.
The information gathered by these cookies is aggregated and used anonymously. We use these cookies to understand what content is popular which helps us to improve KBC Online Services.
3. Targeting Cookies
"Targeting" cookies remember individual websites you have visited. This assists us to present relevant and targeted online advertising to you. When you visit a KBC website page targeting cookies may be placed on your machine. These targeting cookies (if they have been placed on your machine), can be recognised by subsequent websites you visit, and this allows those sites to present targeted KBC advertising to you based on your previous web browsing activity. The information collected from these targeting cookies is anonymous.
How do I change my Cookies settings?
You can at any time set your browser or your mobile device settings to reject cookies. However, if you reject our session cookies (described above), this may affect your ability to use the KBC Online Services. More information on how to manage cookies, including how to disable cookies is provided at www.aboutcookies.org.
Cookies and social media sites
If you are accessing KBC Online Services through a social media network, such as Facebook or Twitter, you may be subject to cookies operated by those third parties. KBC is not responsible for the activities of third party social media operators so you should check the privacy statements of those operators before using their facilities.
Downloading and using the KBC Mobile Banking App
In order to download and use our KBC Mobile Banking App, you are required to register and activate the service. We will process your Personal Information during this registration and activation stage and we will transmit an activation code to the mobile number or email address provided by you for this purpose.
KBC will require access to the camera on your digital device for specific purposes, for example, to allow you to photograph and upload your proof of ID and proof of address documentation and to use our IBAN scanner functionality. We will not access your camera without your knowledge or permission and will only access it for the purposes notified to you.
If you have a mobile device with fingerprint recognition functionality (e.g. using your fingerprint to access your device), you will be able to access the KBC Mobile Banking App using this functionality however you will require your Mobile PIN to authorise transactions. If your mobile device does not have fingerprint recognition functionality you will be automatically logged into the KBC Mobile Banking App once you have entered your mobile PIN.
Where you are using fingerprint recognition functionality, we do not accept any liability for loss arising in connection with the use of biometric data to access KBC Online Services. For the avoidance of doubt, we do not retain or store any biometric data.
For the purposes of this Privacy Statement, ‘biometric data’ means personal data resulting from specific technical processing relating to the physical, physiological or behavioural characteristics of a natural person, which allow or confirm the unique identification of that natural person, such as facial images.
KBC Live Chat service
Live Chat is a form of real-time online communication between you and one of our representatives. For your own security, you should never disclose account information or Personal Information when using the Live Chat service and our representatives will never ask for this information during a Live Chat interaction with you. If Personal Information is disclosed by you when accessing the Live Chat service, some Personal Information will be retained for a period of 13 months.
Any Personal Information disclosed by you when accessing the Live Chat service will only be used to contact you and will not be used for any other administrative, statistical or any other purposes.
KBC Mobile Banking App and ‘Push’ notifications
A 'Push' notification is a message from an app which pops up on your device. You may receive ‘Push’ notifications from us about our services, offers and product information. When you download or update the KBC Mobile Banking App, you will be asked to give your consent to enable location and notification services. You can choose at any time to switch off these services on your device.
Social media and third party websites
If you choose to access an official KBC social media page, your social media profile may also be made available to us. The Personal Information made available is determined by how you set your privacy settings on your social media profile. You should therefore familiarise yourself with the privacy statement of social networks if you choose to access KBC Online Services through a social network channel.
In addition, some of the pages on KBC Online Services contain hypertext links to websites not maintained by KBC. Different terms and conditions of use will apply to you as a user of these websites. In addition these websites may not attain the same privacy standards that KBC maintains.
We use internal technical and organisational measures to protect your information from unauthorised access, to maintain data accuracy and to help ensure the appropriate use of your Personal Information by KBC.
Further information regarding the security measures applied by KBC is contained in the Data Protection Notice and the KBC Terms and Conditions. Even so, data transmission over the Internet cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
As a result, while KBC will take all reasonable steps to protect your Personal Information used in connection with KBC Online Services, for example by verifying the IMEI code on your device each time you use KBC Online Services, the nature of the Internet is such that KBC cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us while using KBC Online Services. Any information that you do provide to KBC is at your own risk.
Banking organisations and their customers may from time to time be the target of hoax e-mails or SMS messages that are aimed at gathering Internet/account details of the customers. Some of these hoax e-mails and SMS messages have encouraged or facilitated contact with hoax websites that purport to be (but are not) the website of the relevant banking organisation.
We would always advise you to be cautious as regards disclosing your Personal Information. In particular, you should note that we will only ever request your personal details if: (i) you are seeking to initiate e-mail contact with us via KBC Online Services; or (ii) you initiate a request for a particular service via KBC Online Services and we require certain personal details to provide you with the requested service. You should never publish your account details or other private information using a social media channel.
Changes to the Privacy Statement
Any changes to this Privacy Statement will be posted on this website and on the log-in page of the KBC Mobile Banking App so you are always aware of what information KBC collects through KBC Online Services and how KBC uses that information.
If at any time KBC decide to use your Personal Information in a manner significantly different from that stated in this Privacy Statement, in the KBC Data Protection Notice or otherwise disclosed to you at the time it was collected, KBC will notify you using the appropriate contact channels.
Terms and Conditions
This Privacy Statement is subject to the Terms and Conditions of Use of the KBC Bank Ireland plc website which are available on www.kbc.ie.
Where there is a conflict between this Privacy Statement and the Terms and Conditions of Use, the Terms and Conditions of Use shall prevail.
Any applications submitted using KBC Online Services will be subject to the same terms and conditions as those completed by hand in paper form, including any additional terms and conditions relating to credit checking, money laundering and regulatory notices.
You may receive additional data protection notifications from us at the time you complete the application. Prior to providing any information to KBC through KBC Online Services which relates to other individuals, please ensure that those persons have agreed to us using this information or that you are otherwise allowed to give us this information for the purposes set out in the Data Protection Notice and for any additional purposes notified to you.
This Privacy Statement is published by KBC Bank Ireland plc , Sandwith Street, Dublin 2, Ireland and was last updated in October 2018.
· KBC Bank Ireland plc is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland
· Registered in the Republic of Ireland. Number 40537
· Registered Office: Sandwith Street, Dublin 2, Ireland.
If you are a KBC Bank Ireland plc employee please review KBC’s internal Social Media Policy.
3. KBC’s social media channels and their content are designed for Irish residents and those over the age of 18.
Use of Social Networks
4. You access KBC’s social media channels at your own risk and KBC is not liable or responsible for any loss, or damage howsoever arising as a result of your use of our social media channels.
5. While KBC has official profiles on social media sites, we do not endorse any social media site. In addition and without limitation, KBC does not endorse or approve either expressly or by implication any third parties or their advice, opinions, information content, product or services which may appear on our social media profiles including any advertisements and or link to third party sites.
6. If you are unable to access the social media site, it is the responsibility of the social media site to resolve the matter. KBC is not liable or responsible for any loss or damage that you may incur arising from the unavailability of the social media site.
7. You may not use our social media channels for any illegal or improper purpose.
8. We would encourage you to share and comment on the content that we post through our social media channels so long as you do not amend or change it and acknowledge KBC as the source.
Please note that KBC’s social media profiles and the content that we post is the copyright of KBC and we reserve all our rights therein. All trademarks, company names, logos and designs used in our social media channels and on our social media profiles are the intellectual property of KBC and you may not use, copy or reproduce them in any way.
9. All products and services referred to by us through our social media channels are subject to specific eligibility criteria and terms and conditions which are set out in detail in the documentation applicable to that product or service and which should be read in detail before entering into the particular product or service.
10. The information and content available through our social media channels does not in any way constitute business, investment, financial, taxation, legal or other professional advice and we strongly recommend that you seek advice from an appropriately qualified professional prior to entering into any product or service with us.
11. We reserve the right to update and change our social media profiles and the content available through our social media channels at any time and without notification. We do not guarantee that our social media profiles are up to date.
12. You are fully responsible and liable for any material you post through our social media channels and KBC is not liable or responsible for any content posted through our social media channels by any third parties.
13. When posting on our social media profiles, you must be respectful, considerate, polite, honest, accurate and relevant.
14. We are entitled to assume that you have the right and are permitted to submit any material that you post through our social media channels. You may not post any material which is confidential, breaches contractual obligations or impacts upon the rights of any third party.
15. You agree not to post any material which:
· is threatening, defamatory, obscene, indecent, offensive, pornographic, abusive, discriminatory, menacing, scandalous, inflammatory, blasphemous, unlawful, defamatory, obscene, false or inaccurate or liable to incite racial hatred;
· encourages, promotes or constitutes conduct that is a criminal offence;
· may be technically damaging to our social media channels or contain any software viruses or Trojan horses which may damage our computer systems;
· harms or exploits children in any way;
· infringes any trademark or copyright or intellectual property rights of a third party; or
· impersonates any person or entity or misrepresents your association with them.
16. We may use any ideas or suggestions submitted to us through our social media channels without any further permission from you or compensation to you and you hereby agree to allow any such material to be re-used or quoted by us without further notification to you.
17. You hereby grant us a perpetual, royalty free, irrevocable licence to use, modify, reproduce, translate, publish, adapt, display and distribute in any format material and content posted by you through our social media channels.
18. Please note we cannot respond to any complaints through our social media channels. Please see our complaints procedures which are available on our website www.kbc.ie if you wish to make a complaint.
19. We reserve the right and have absolute discretion to screen, review, edit and monitor any content or material posted through our social media channels. We may, at our discretion, refrain from publishing material posted by you. In addition we may at our sole discretion at any time and without any notice or liability to you remove any material or content posted by you.
20. You should be aware that anything that you post to or appears on a social media site is not confidential and anyone can read and comment on the posts that you make. In addition anything you post or comment on may also appear through results from internet search engines.
21. You should NEVER under any circumstances post your personal account details or any sensitive personal or financial information through our social media channels.
22. Our Data Protection Notice sets out in detail how we use your Personal Information and our obligations under applicable data protection law. Our Data Protection Notice is available on our website www.kbc.ie.
23. We reserve the right at our discretion at any time to temporarily or permanently suspend, withdraw or discontinue all or part of our social media channels without any notice or liability to you.
24. We may from time to time offer promotions, competitions, prize draws, special offers and discounts through our social media channels.
25. Such promotions, competitions, prize draws, special offers and discounts will be subject to their own eligibility criteria and terms and conditions.
26. These promotions, competitions, prize draws, special offers and discounts are associated with or endorsed by the social media sites unless clearly stated to the contrary.
27. KBC reserves the right at its discretion to cancel, suspend or withdraw any promotion, competition, prize draw, special offer or discount and shall not be liable or responsible to any person for any loss or damage arising out of such, cancellation, suspension or withdrawal.
General disclaimer and indemnity
29. KBC, to the fullest extent permitted by law, is not accountable for and does not accept any liability or responsibility for any loss, damage (including without limitation, incidental, punitive, exemplary, special or consequential damages, loss of profit or damages resulting from lost date or business interruption) or expense resulting from:
· using and accessing our social media channels whether with or without authorisation;
· the performance, functionality, non-performance, unavailability, inaccessibility, or disruptions to our social media channels;
· using and accessing social media sites;
· any reliance you place on content or material available through our social media channels whether posted by us or third parties.
33. KBC Bank Ireland plc trading as KBC Bank Ireland is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.