Current Account FAQs

Search the questions

Top Questions

What do I need to open a Current Account?

Existing customers

We like to make things as simple as possible for our existing customers so if you are already a KBC customer you probably won’t need to provide any more ID. If we do need anything, we’ll let you know.

New customers

If you are applying for a current account in one of our Hubs you will need to provide one original proof of photo ID and one original proof of address verification (issued in the last 6 months).

If you are applying online or over the phone you will need to provide two proofs of photo ID and two proofs of address verification (issued within the last 6 months).

To make it easier you can email a clear scan/photo of your documents proofs to us at or post photocopies to us at:

KBC Current Account Team,
FREEPOST, PO Box 8666,
KBC Bank Ireland plc, Sandwith Street,
Dublin 2

Can I access cash?

Your KBC Day to Day Debit Card allows you to access cash at any ATM that displays the MasterCard logo or cashback through participating retailers. Please note you cannot access cash in a KBC hub.

Can I use my card online?

Yes, you can make online purchases/payments anywhere you see the MasterCard logo. When you use your card online, you may be asked to go through the MasterCard Secure process and a onetime password will be sent to your phone.

Lost/Stolen Cards

You can report a card lost or stolen and order a replacement card through the KBC app by simply tapping the card image and selecting the Lost/Stolen button.

Your replacement card will be available to use immediately in your digital wallet, or you can load the card to your digital wallet if you have not already done so.

Lost/Stolen card reporting on KBC Mobile Banking app

You can also phone our 24 hour helpline on 1800 936 287 or 353 1 634 79 63

How can I lodge a cheque to my KBC Current Account or Deposit Account?

You can lodge a cheque to your KBC Current Account or Deposit Account (where the account allows) by visiting one of our Hubs or posting the cheque along with your account details to: 

KBC Bank Ireland Plc,
PO Box 12421, Sandwith Street,
Dublin 2

How do I lodge an “a/c payee only” cheque?
A cheque which is crossed with “a/c payee only” must be lodged directly into the KBC current account or deposit account of the named payee. Cheques crossed with “a/c payee only” can also be lodged to a KBC joint account where one account holder has the same name as the account payee on the cheque.

How can I reduce my fees and charges?

Visit our Current Account homepage to find out how you can reduce your fees. Some simple ways to reduce fees include;

  • Ask for cashback when buying things to avoid using the ATM*
  • If you maintain a minimum daily credit balance of €2,000 in your Current Account you won’t have to pay any ATM** or cheque processing fees
  • Use online banking to pay bills and outgoings by direct debit/standing order or credit transfer
  • Check your balance regularly and know your payment dates

*Cashback is at the retailers' discretion and a purchase is required. A minimum amount may be necessary.
**Non Euro fees and charges may apply.

Can I transfer foreign currency into my KBC Current Account?

No, all transfers must be denominated in Euro.

Can I transfer funds from my KBC Sterling Account into my KBC Current Account?

No, all transfers must be denominated in Euro.

How do I set up my KBC Online Banking?

Online Banking is automatically set up for all current account holders upon account activation. You will receive your unique customer number which will allow you to access Online Banking. Learn more about how to set up your online and mobile banking.

Can I get a cheque and how much will this cost?

You must send us written instruction if you wish to withdraw money from your account by means of a cheque. Once we have received your written instruction we will process and post the cheque to the address we have for you on file. The cost for this service is €3.17 per cheque.

Information on CRS and FATCA for Personal Banking Customers

Common Reporting Standard (CRS) and Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA)
Tax Advice 

We recommend you contact a professional independent tax advisor to discuss your personal tax situation, to help you understand the international regulations and ensure you comply with them. We do not offer tax advice and are unable to help you decide your tax status or guide you with filling in forms. We can however provide some general explanatory information which we have included below. 

What is the CRS?

The CRS was approved by the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) in 2014, and is a single global standard on Automatic Exchange of Information (AEOI). The aim of CRS is to have a globally co-ordinated approach to the disclosure of financial account information in respect of individuals and organisations, in order to combat tax avoidance. The CRS imposes on all financial institutions in participating jurisdictions, duties of identification, classification and reporting of accounts held by reportable customers to its local country tax authorities. There will then be a reciprocal automated exchange of this information between tax authorities in participating jurisdictions. Section 891F of the Taxes Consolidation Act 1997 implements CRS into Irish Law. 

What is FATCA? 

The Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) is a piece of U.S. legislation. Its aim is to combat tax evasion by U.S. citizens and residents who hold assets off-shore by improving the exchange of information between the U.S. and foreign tax authorities. In December 2012, the Irish Government signed an agreement with the U.S. in relation to the implementation of FATCA in Ireland. The agreement provides for the automatic reporting and exchange of information on an annual basis in relation to Financial Accounts held in Irish Financial Institutions by U.S. persons, and the reciprocal exchange of information regarding U.S. Financial Accounts held by Irish residents. Section 891E of the Taxes Consolidation Act 1997 implements FATCA into Irish Law.

What is the impact of FATCA and CRS on You? 

When opening personal accounts, we have a legal requirement to obtain a CRS and FATCA Self-Certification from the customer as part of the account opening documentation. This Self-Certification is required to (a) determine whether the account holder is a U.S. Citizen, (b) determine the account holders’ residence(s) for tax purposes, and (c) obtain the applicable foreign Tax Identification Number (TIN) if appropriate. We must also confirm the reasonableness of the Self-Certification based on information obtained in connection with the account opening. If customers do not provide all the information requested, we will not be able to proceed with opening the new account until the relevant information is provided. 

Where there is a conflict between the tax certification and other customer information that we have on file, we are obliged to request customers to provide us with a reasonable explanation and documentation supporting the reasonableness of the tax certification provided. An example of such a conflict would be if a customer declares that they are tax resident in the Republic of Ireland but they have a UK mailing address

The explanation required will depend on the specific circumstances of each customer. It should explain why the customer is satisfied that they are tax resident in the jurisdiction provided in the tax certification completed at account opening. It should also include a detailed explanation as to why there is a difference between the jurisdiction of tax residence included on the tax certification and other information held by us.

If we take an example of a customer who certifies that they are tax resident in the Republic of Ireland but who has a Spanish mailing address, a reasonable explanation might be that they are living and working in Ireland but continue to have their post sent to their parents address in Spain.

If a personal customer is a U.S. Citizen and/or has a tax residence outside of the Republic of Ireland and does not provide us with a foreign TIN*, we cannot open the account. (*except in limited circumstances e.g. where foreign country does not issue TIN)

We are obliged to submit an annual return to the Irish Revenue providing information on reportable customers (e.g. U.S. Citizens and other customers who are tax resident outside of the Republic of Ireland). The Irish Revenue will then forward this information to the relevant participating jurisdiction.

Under the CRS and FATCA, we are required to undertake certain identification and due diligence on our customers. We may contact customers requesting that they complete a CRS and FATCA Self-Certification form where we do not hold the necessary information, or, where there is a change in circumstances on a customer’s account(s) which may indicate a change in their status for CRS and/or FATCA eg. a change of address from one country to another. If the customer does not provide us with a completed Self-Certification we may be required under law to provide some of  their details to the Irish Revenue as someone who has not replied. Providing a completed Self-Certification form will help us to decide if we need to share your information or take you out of scope of reporting.

Who will be reported? 

U.S. citizens and persons who are resident outside of the Republic of Ireland for tax purposes are reportable.

What information will be reported?

If a customer has a tax residency outside of the Republic of Ireland or are a U.S. Citizen, we are required to report the following details in respect of all accounts that a customer holds with us to the Irish Revenue (where relevant): name, address, date of birth, place of birth, account number, U.S. citizenship and/or jurisdiction(s) of residence, Tax Identification Number (TIN), account balance or value at year end and  payments made with respect to the account during the calendar year. Irish Revenue will report this data to the tax authorities of each participating country where the customer is tax resident or to the IRS in the case of U.S. citizens. 

Information on Tax Residency and Citizenship 

Tax residence relates to where you live and pay tax and citizenship relates to where you were born or the country of your passport. You can be tax resident in one country and a citizen of another. Each country has its own rules on tax residence.

A person coming to live in the Republic of Ireland or who are returning to the Republic of Ireland after living abroad for a number of years may not be tax resident in the Republic of Ireland from the date of arrival and may continue to be tax resident in the country in which they previously resided. Further information on tax residency and the implications for people coming or returning to live in the Republic of Ireland is available on the Irish Revenue website.

Further information on U.S. Citizenship and tax residence is available here.
Further information on tax residency of jurisdictions is available here.

What is a TIN?

A Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) is a generic term for the unique reference number held for an individual or entity issued by the relevant Tax Authorities. For example this might be your National Insurance Number or Social Security Number for individuals. For entities, this might be your Employer Identification Number, Unique Business Reference or Corporation Tax Number. Other examples can be found via the Tax Identification Numbers (TINs) webpage.

Unable to provide a U.S. TIN

A person born in the U.S. is regarded as a U.S. citizen. Where a customer is a U.S. citizen we cannot proceed to open the account where the customer is unable to provide us with a U.S. TIN. Where a customer advises that they have never received a U.S. TIN, in order to open an account, the customer must apply to the U.S. for a TIN, or, renounce their U.S. Citizenship.

Information on how to apply for a U.S. TIN can be found here.

Information on how to relinquish U.S. citizenship can be found here.

How frequently will you have to provide information for FATCA / CRS purposes?

Customers should promptly advise us of any change in their tax residency status. To the extent that there is a change in the account information of a customer, we may be required to contact them to obtain additional information so that we can update their account classification for FATCA / CRS.

When might you have to recomplete a Self-Certification form?

  • If you have not completed all the mandatory sections of the form
  • If the TIN is missing without explanation or in an invalid format
  • If the form is not signed and dated correctly
  • If the person signing the form is not listed as an authorised signatory on our records for the account or does not have the capacity to sign on your behalf
  • Altering the documents would also mean we would have to send them back to you. For example:
    • If you cross out any information, including the pre-printed text,
    • If you over-write any information, or use correction fluid to change the content
  • If you haven’t submitted all the relevant additional documentation you’ve been asked for, e.g.  copy of passport/driving licence etc

Information Sources 

You can find more information on the revenue website.

Tax Advice and Disclaimer

We recommend you contact a professional and independent tax advisor to discuss your tax situation, to help you understand the international regulations and ensure you comply with them. 

Please note that the information contained in this document is for information purposes only and is intended for general distribution.  Please note that KBC does not offer taxation advice and will not be liable for any errors contained in Self-Certification forms. If you have any questions on CRS/FATCA you should contact your tax advisor or the Irish Revenue.

What is a BIC number?

The BIC (Bank Identifier Code) is a number unique to each bank which is used when making automated payments.

The SWIFT or BIC number for KBC Bank Ireland is as follows: ICONIE2D

What is the difference between a standing order and a direct debit and how each can be cancelled?

A Direct Debit is an agreement between you and the organisation you're paying, which allows them to take money out of your account at regular intervals. The organisation will set this up and they can alter the amount being paid upon your instruction. Direct Debits are ideal for paying bills that can vary from month to month such as gas and electricity. If you wish to cancel a Direct Debit you must contact the organisation directly.

A Standing Order is an automatic regular payment but the amount is fixed. You can set up a Standing Order and only you can make changes to it such as change the amount or payment date. You can cancel a Standing Order via your Online Banking.

How can I update my address?

You can use either Online Banking or Mobile Banking to update your address. 

Alternatively, you can post an original signed instruction stating your account number and your new address to KBC Bank, Sandwith St, Dublin 2.

Why is there a difference between my current and available balance?

Your current balance may not include any recent debit card transactions you have made. It can take up to 5 days for the merchant to update this and to affect your current balance. Your available balance should include all transactions on your account to date, the available balance is the amount you have available to spend. The first screen on your mobile app shows your current balance. Click on this to see the next screen which shows your current and available balance.

What if I forget my PIN?

If you have forgotten your PIN you can ask for a PIN reminder on our Mobile Banking App or our Online Banking website. You can also phone 1800 93 92 44 for assistance. 

Can I get cash back on my card?

Yes, you can get cash back wherever you see the MasterCard logo, subject to the policies of participating shops and outlets. Cashback is at the discretion of the retailer.

Can I use my card abroad?

Yes, you can use your card abroad anywhere you see the MasterCard logo, subject to fees and charges. Please contact us to notify us if you are planning on travelling abroad.

Can I put additional cardholders on my account?

No, if it is a single account. Only Joint Accounts can have more than one cardholder.

Will I be charged for ATM Transactions?

Subject to the Schedule of Fees and Charges you may be charged per ATM transaction. If you are using an ATM outside the Republic of Ireland please refer to our Fees & Charges Booklet (pdf, 71 KB).

What ATM access will I have?

You can use any ATM, nationally and internationally, wherever you see the MasterCard logo.

Do I need to activate my debit card?

No, when you receive your debit card just use it as you would normally at an ATM, online or via point of sale.

What do I do if I block my card?

If your card is blocked please call us on phone 1800 93 92 44 for assistance. 

Who do I contact if I have a problem using my debit card?

Contact our customer service team on 1800 93 92 44.

What happens if I do not recognise a transaction on my account?

If you do not recognise a transaction on your account, you can contact our customer service team on 1800 93 92 44

What is Priceless Ireland?

Get exclusive offers, benefits and enjoy the MasterCard experience with your KBC Debit Card. Register today at and start enjoying the range of exclusive offers.