The KBC Basic Current Account offers customers who currently do not have a current account the essential day to day banking features. With your Basic Current Account, you can receive your income, pay your bills and transfer money.
- Free ATM & Cheque lodgement fees
- No quarterly maintenance fees
- Free Contactless Debit Card purchases & Cashback*
- Free Direct Debits and Standing Orders
Our Basic Current Account is suitable for customers who do not currently hold a Current Account with a bank located in the Republic of Ireland. It is most suitable for customers who have not previously had a Current Account and as a result have found themselves excluded from conducting everyday banking transactions. The account is suitable for everyday bank transactions such as receiving payments, paying bills, setting up Direct Debits and Standing Orders. The account comes with a Debit Card and offers online account access. Note this account does not provide an overdraft facility.
- Currently not hold a Current Account with a bank in the Republic of Ireland
- Be legally resident in the EU
- Be over 18 years of age
You may also be eligible if you currently hold a Current Account with a bank in the Republic of Ireland but have received notice that your account will be closed.
The account is provided free of charge for a period of 12 months, after 12 months have passed we will review your account and you may be moved to one of our other Current Account products if the following occurs:
- Lodgements to the Basic Current Account over a period of 12 months must not exceed the national minimum hourly rate of pay multiplied by 2,080 (i.e. 40 hours x 52 weeks). If lodgements to the Basic Current Account exceed this limit we may at our absolute discretion change your Basic Current Account to the standard KBC Current Account to which the fees and charges as set out in the Fees and Charges Booklet will apply. Any such change will be notified to you in accordance with the Terms and Conditions.
- Free Debit Card purchases
- Free Cashback*
- Free Direct Debits
- Free Standing Orders
- Free Online and Mobile Banking
- Free Account Transaction Fees
Free Cashback & Contactless Payment
Get cashback* in store for free.
Your contactless KBC Debit Card allows you to pay for small everyday items in seconds just passing your card over the machine, subject to a €30 limit.
Fees and Charges
If you live the kind of life that doesn’t like being charged for everything, you’ll love how much you can do for free with the bank of you:
No fees for...
- Online and Mobile banking
- Electronic payments into or out of your account
- Direct debit set up or processing
- Standing order set up or processing
- When you use your card in store, online and over the phone
Non Euro debit card fees and charges may apply. Other fees and charges apply.
Everything you need to know is in your Current Account Fees & Charges booklet. If you have any questions or if you would like anyone to explain any part of it - please just ask.
How to apply
Applying is simple. Call into any of our hubs around the country, where we can assist in opening an account and answer any queries you may have. You can also call us on 1800 51 52 53.
If you are applying for a Basic Current Account in one of our Hubs you will need to provide one original proof of photo ID and one original proof of address verification (issued in the last 6 months).
If you are applying online, over the phone or by post you will need to provide two proofs of photo ID and two proofs of address verification (issued within the last 6 months).
To make it easier you can email a clear scan/photo of your documents proofs and a fully completed application form to us at email@example.com or post the fully completed application form and photocopies of your document proofs to us at: KBC Current Account Team, FREEPOST, PO Box 8666, KBC Bank Ireland plc, Sandwith Street, Dublin 2.
KBC Bank Ireland does not offer cash facilities at our hub locations and so are unable to cater for cash lodgements or withdrawals in our premises. There is no overdraft facility available with the KBC Basic Current Account.
You are not required to purchase any additional services in order to obtain a KBC Basic Current Account.
*CashBack is at the retailers discretion and a purchase is required. A minimum amount may be necessary.
Full details of the Terms and Conditions can be found here.